The Aldershot & District Bus Interest Group
has been active in collecting anecdotes from staff employed by the "TRACCO".
The audio tapes that have so far been produced are:-
- 1. The "Tracco" at War
(some amusing despite traumatic time) from numerous members of staff.
- 2. The "Tracco" and Animals
dealings with a goose, dogs, pigeons, cockroaches, goats, horses, swan,
- 3. The Main Road - Service 14
concerning the Aldershot -Winchester Service.
OTHER STORIES GLEANED:-
SO - PERHAPS - YOU WOULD CARE TO
ADD YOUR REMINISCENCES! (OR YOU MAY BE ABLE TO TELL US OF YOUR FRIENDS OR
CONTACTS WHO COULD HELP TO BUILD OUR COLLECTION EVEN GREATER)
- Where did the music come from on service 1?
--- Driver blowing trumpet in the cab!
- Alton Depot fitter gave easy key to whether
journey was a '13' of a '13A' - 'A' for Anger (Oakhanger - 13A).
- At one time, mainly due to Polish Army Camp
at Limbo on service 51 (Critchmere - Haslemere - Northchapel - Petworth)
duplication was necessary.
- Regular Elstead outstation staff were met
on Friday night by passenger handing over sack of vegetables and bunch
- Conductress who boiled sausages in a saucepan.
- Conductor who got up late - still wore pyjamas
beneath his uniform.
- Bus shelter at Chawton (near Jane Austens'
House) locked up each night.
- Conductor who ran to passengers house to turn
gas off beneath kettle.
- September 1968 floods experiences.
- General Manager displeased if a bus remained
in the garage on peak day (Saturday).
- Conductress needed to scrounge lift on a coal
lorry to catch own bus after driver left her behind.
- Last journey on service 23 to Cranleigh and
Ewhurst from Guildford on Saturdays and Sundays was duplicated with six
buses to cater for passengers.
- Speedometer reading "off clock"
on occasion from Hindhead to Thursley (service 24).
- Passenger asked for 'Charlies Place' - jumped
from bus in dark upon arrival there.
- Fortnightly dancers circle (2/6 entry) at
Traction Hall (Full sprung dance hall with bandstand).
- Conductor on service 44 from Aldershot to
Woking late at night announced 'Blackdown' so that drunken soldiers would
alight - they did - but bus was actually only at Hospital Hill, Aldershot.
- Many pranks played upon fitters at Woodbridge
Road Depot, Guildford.
- Barrel of beer together with sandwiches funded
by the General Manager, to staff after Aldershot Tattoo duties.
- Conductor forced to travel in boot of London
- Why didn't conductress always announce location
of stops - BALLS CROSS - service 60.
- Social club outing to London theatre - coach
- Learning to drive (unofficial) - conductor
put bus in ditch at Dockenfield.
- Military police on horseback halted buses
exceeding 30MPH in Queens Avenue, Aldershot.
- How staff had the time of their lives!!
- CONTACT: PETER TREVASKIS
- 1 THE OAKS, PIRBRIGHT ROAD, NORMANDY, GUILDFORD,
SURREY. GU3 2HT
- NOSTALGIA AND HISTORY BROUGHT TO LIFE
- Download Sample
- Back to Sales
- © Copyright by ADBIG All Rights