- ADBIG Today
- What ADBIG Can Do For You!
- Aldershot & District Bus
Interest Group Objectives
- ADBIG Committee
- Today ADBIG a thriving bus interest group managed by the ADBIG Committee,
a team of elected members who meet regularly under the auspices of the
- The ADBIG Committee can be contacted at any time by email at
- The Group's objective remains the study of all aspects of the operation,
vehicles and installations of the former Aldershot & District Traction
Company Ltd and its successors.
- Full details of the ADBIG Constitution can be found within the Members' Pages
- ADBIG is not just about keeping the preserved A&D buses on the
road; it is also about keeping the nostalgia and memories of the old Aldershot
& District Company and its successors alive.
- The ADBIG archive contains a vast collection of hundreds of historic
photographs, maps, timetables, tickets, duty schedules, not to mention
numerous other precious A&D artefacts, many dating from the very first
days of the A&D company, some of which were rescued when they were
destined for the skip in the run-up to A&D's merger with Thames Valley
in the early 1970s.
- The ADBIG sales stall has an active sales team selling numerous items
relating to the old A&D Company, at ADBIG meetings, at various bus
events and rallies, and on line.
- Full details on how to join ADBIG can be found by clicking on "Becoming
an ADBIG Member" on this webpage.
- ADBIG Membership Benefits
- ADBIG Website Members' Section
- As an ADBIG member you will have special access to the "Members'
Section" of the ADBIG website where you can discover:-
- Here you will discover an extensive and growing archive of photographs
accumulated over the years that have been carefully scanned and posted
for the exclusive benefit of ADBIG members. These range from official company
photographs, press photos and cuttings, to photographs taken by an army
of enthusiasts, some dating back to the early days of the A&D Company.
The Peter Holmes Collection
- Another valuable source of historical A&D material was bequeathed
to ADBIG from the estate of transport historian and author, Peter Holmes.
Today much of Peter's material is available for members to view on the
Members' Section of the website.
Newsletter Back Copies
- The members' section also provides access to most, if not all, of the
newsletters published since the formation of the group in 1994 and the
wide variety of information and articles that they contain on every aspect
imaginable of the old Aldershot & District Company.
ADBIG Events Diary
- The ADBIG Events Diary where the latest information on events, special
meetings, etc, can also be found in the Members Section.
- Other Benefits Include:-
- ADBIG Newsletter
- All ADBIG members receive a quarterly newsletter, which, under the
diligent enthusiasm of news editor Les Smith, has grown into a comprehensive
magazine packed with articles (many contributed by ADBIG members), photos
and other information about the group's activities.
- ADBIG Activities
- Bus Running Days
- From the early days the group specialised in organising annual Aldershot
& District bus running days in the Aldershot, Guildford, Woking and
Farnham areas, with the help of South West Trains who generously permitted
their railway station car parks to be used as central departure points.
- These bus running days soon gained a reputation for authenticity, with
genuine A&D buses running over historic A&D routes, sometimes even
crewed by ex-A&D staff, many wearing authentic A&D uniforms, who
had worked on these same routes in the 1960s.
- Over the years ADBIG events became bigger and bigger until they culminated
in the highly successful A&D Centenary Running Day held at Farnborough
Airfield, courtesy of Farnborough International Venue and Events (FIVE),
on May 27th 2012. Regrettably bureaucratic red tape, financial pressures,
a dramatic increase in road traffic on Sundays and other outside considerations,
has made it increasingly difficult to stage large bus running events and
it is rather unlikely that the large ADBIG events staged during the heady
days of the first decade of the 21st century can ever be repeated.
- However, ADBIG did stage a much lower key, but successful, bus-running
event in 2014 based at Farnborough Six Form College and it is anticipated
that this could well become a template for future annual events.
Mid Hants Bus Rally
- During the summer season A&D preserved buses regularly participate
in bus rallies and running days organised by other organisations, the highlight
of which is the Mid-Hants Railway Bus Rally held annually on the middle Sunday July when
around a hundred and fifty preserved buses, including some from the ADBIG fleet,
descend on Anstey Park, Alton. Many of these provide free bus rides over
historic bus routes in the Alton area.
- There is normally at least one ADBIG Members' Tour arranged each year
when members can bring along guests to travel to A&D related destinations
on preserved A&D buses, with plenty of photo-stops along the way.
ADBIG Members' Meetings
- During the winter months regular ADBIG meetings are held at Normandy
Village Hall, (located between Aldershot and Guildford), when talks and
film shows are given, often by senior members of the transport industry.
Christmas Special Supper
- The December highlight is the convivial Christmas special "Fish
and Chip Supper" meeting when members, their guests and ex-colleagues
get a chance to chat and exchange tall stories about the "Good Old
- Back to Index
- © Copyright by ADBIG All Rights